The BOINC client software on Windows and Mac OS X includes a screensaver program, which you can select as your screensaver.
- Right-click on the desktop.
- Click Properties, select Screen Saver, select BOINC.
On Mac OS X:
- Under the Apple menu, select System Preferences.
- Click on Desktop & Screen Saver.
- Select BOINCSaver from the list of screensavers.
NOTE: BOINC runs even if you don't use the screensaver.
When active, the screensaver does the following:
- If a graphics-capable application is running, the screensaver causes that application to provide full-screen graphics. If more than one is running (e.g. on a multiprocessor) the screensaver cycles between them every few minutes.
- If applications are running but non are graphics-capable, the screensaver shows the names of the applications and their fraction done for the current work unit.
- If the core client is running but no applications are running, the screensaver shows that.
- If the core client is not running, the screensaver shows that.
Normally, if you press a key or move the mouse while the screensaver is active, the screensaver will exit. Some BOINC applications handle keyboard/mouse input. If you hold down the control key, any additional input will be passed to the application, and your computer will remain in screensaver mode.
The new version 6 screensaver
BOINC version 6 (v.6) uses a new and improved screensaver standard that is not compatible with version 5 screensavers. Version 6 uses the OpenGL graphics standard. As of 09/2008, only a few projects are supplying v.6 compatible screensavers and graphics.
If, on upgrading to BOINC v.6, you find that some or all of your BOINC project's screensavers or graphics no longer work then you should take the following measures:
- Update your video drivers to the latest OpenGL drivers available for your video sub_system. Note that Microsoft may not provide the update for you so you should go directly to your computer's manufacturer or your video card's manufacturer.
- Check to see if the projects you are attached to have v.6 screensavers. Ask in their forum or check the list below. Note that the list may not be up to date.
Projects sending version 6 screensavers
This list was updated 28/09/2008.
The following projects have v.6 screensavers
- ClimatePrediction (CPDN)
- Almost all recently issued CPDN models (since about mid-September, 2008) have v.6 compatible screensavers and graphics. The only exception is the TCM models, the screensaver for these is still being tested.
- Most current subprojects. Rice, Denque Drugs, and Conquer Cancer have v.6 compatible screensavers.
- minirosetta tasks only.